Basics and Beyond - Ottawa Program
Basics and Beyond is designed for adults who wish to learn how to orienteer! This is our fastest-growing program and we anticipate selling out so you may want to register early!
This program runs from Tuesday, April 11th to May 30th, 2017.
On March 28th we are hosting a program info session at the Ron Kolbus Centre in Britannia Park from 6:30 to 7:30. If you are interested in the program we encourage you to join us there.
Our Basics & Beyond program is an 8 week Tuesday evening program (6:30-7:30) for adults that will teach you the basics of orienteering and then move beyond that to guide you through the first skills required to comfortably complete novice and intermediate level orienteering courses. This is a skills course - while there can be a large physical component to orienteering we do not touch on that at all. In other words, you may run, walk, hop, skip... at whichever speed you wish! Over the course of the eight weeks we will go over the following skills and more:
- Basic map reading skills
- Understanding a standard orienteering legend
- Keeping your map oriented using terrain features and your compass
- Route choice and navigation systems
Each evening will consist of a combination of instructions from your coach, independent learning, and a chance to practice the new skill at hand.
There are a few things you will need for this program:
- Running shoes
- A good pair of shoes that you can walk or run outdoors in for an hour.
- Weather appropriate clothing for being in the woods
- This is a rain or shine program so dress appropriately.
- A whistle
- A basic precaution for all Orienteering Ottawa events and programs.
- A headlamp (fall only)
- Your headlamp has a light output of at least 60 lumens.
This is a rain or shine program! Only in the event of dangerous conditions arising due to an electrical storm or other extreme weather will practice be canceled.
If we have to cancel a session at the last minute we will contact everyone by e-mail using the information provided with registration. We will contact you by 4:30 on the day of so if the weather is questionable check your e-mail before heading out.
Times and Location
We will meet at the designated location for a 6:30 start each Tuesday. Please be there promptly as we regularly move away from the start location for our evening's activities and it may be difficult to find us if you are late. Sessions end at 7:30.
April 11 - May 2 at Wesley Clover Parks
We will meet at the Kanata Nordic Ski Hut off Corkstown Rd. The entrance from Corkstown Rd is NOT the main entrance into the campground - look for the entrance just east of the top of the hill. There will be an orange and white orienteering sign point out the entrance for the first couple of weeks.
May 9 - May 30 at Bell Centennial Arena
We will meet by the trailhead in front of the Bell Centennial Arena. Look for the large sign for the arena at the corner of Cassidy Rd and Bruin Rd.
Complementary individual entries to the following events are also included as an optional additional part of the Basics and Beyond program. We will send you an e-mail with further information about these events a week or two before each one.
April 30th - Sunday morning Spring Series event at Bruce Pit (see event details on event page)
June 6th, Tuesday, 6:30 - 8:00 - Summer Solstice event #1 (location to be confirmed)
Registration for the 2017 Spring season opens on March 3rd.
Want more info before deciding to register? On March 28th we are hosting a program info session at the Ron Kolbus Centre in Britannia Park from 6:30 to 7:30. If you are interested in the program we encourage you to join us there.
$120.00 per participant.
- 8 weeks 1 hour program sessions
- 2017 Orienteering Ottawa membership ($20 value)
- Family pass entry to Pinhey's Point Family Day event on May 20
- Individual entry to April 30th Sunday morning Spring Series event at Bruce Pit ($13 value)
- Individual entry to Summer Solstice event 1 on June 6 (location to be determined) ($13 value)
- Registration is capped at 30 people and we anticipate selling out. Register early to guarantee a spot.
- All participants will need to fill in and submit an insurance waiver on the first evening.
- If you are already a member of Orienteering Ottawa, a discount of $20 will be applied to your registration fee.