Intro to Competition
Intro to Competition, aimed at 10-16 year olds is the next step in a young orienteer's progression after Orienteering Ottawa KIDS. In it kids will learn to be comfortable and confident in the woods, become better map readers, navigators, and runners, and have ton of fun at the same time.
The program consists of one 1.75 hour training sessions in a new location each week. Kids will improve their running speed in terrain, agility, aerobic endurance, strength, problem-solving and navigational skills. Participants can look to build lifelong friendships, life skills, and a love of orienteering and outdoor activity as we teach them how to train as athletes and compete as orienteers.
Weeknight sessions run from 6:30-8:15 pm on Thursdays from April 13th to June 1st (8 weeks) in the Ottawa area. See the schedule on the left or at the bottom of the page for the list of locations and program session details.
Time and Location
Thursday evening program sessions run in conjunction with our Adult Intermediate and Advanced technical training sessions. We will begin with group coaching, then participants will try a course or training activity. They may do this individually, with a partner, or with a coach. Afterwards we will hold a debrief with them. Thursday training also beings at 6:30pm. Please arrive promptly so that we can go through our activities as a group and you don't have to come searching for us in the woods. The information about where to meet and how to get there is available in the sidebar of this page (at left or below on phones and tablets). We will send reminder e-mails out about where to meet and how to get there every week.
Complementary family pass entries to the following events are also included as an optional additional part of the Intro to Competition program. We will send you an e-mail with further information about these events a week or two before each one.
April 30th - Sunday morning Spring Series event at Bruce Pit (see event details on event page)
May 20th at Pinhey's Point Historic Site (see event details on event page)
June 6th, Tuesday, 6:30 - 8:00 - Summer Solstice event #1 (location to be confirmed)
What do I need to bring?
- Running shoes
- Trail running shoes with a good tread are ideal. Please do not come in rubber boots. You will slip all over the place and there is a good chance you will get water over the top of them which then fills up the boot and doesn't drain).
- Long running pants
- We recommend your child wear some sort of full-length athletic pants because we will be running in long grass and in the woods which like to scratch at bare legs.
- Clothes that can get dirty
- Remember to dress ready to run in clothes that are appropriate for the weather. It is likely to vary greatly throughout the season so check the forecast before you leave. We guarantee that you will get to enjoy the mud at least once!
- Water bottle
- There will be a spot you can leave water bottle for the hour so you won't need to carry it with you.
- A basic precaution for all Orienteering Ottawa events and programs.
- Headlamp (fall only)
- Your headlamp should be at least 40 lumens.
- A sense of adventure!
- Do we really need to explain this one?
This is a rain or shine program! Only in the event of dangerous conditions arising due to an electrical storm or other extreme weather will practice be canceled.
If we have to cancel a session at the last minute we will contact everyone by e-mail using the information provided with registration. We will contact you by 4:30 on the day of so if the weather is questionable check your e-mail before heading out.
Registration for the 2017 Spring season opens on March 3rd.
$120.00 per participant.
- 8 weeks 1 hour program sessions
- 2017 Orienteering Ottawa membership ($10 value)
- Family pass entry to Pinhey's Point Family Day event on May 20
- Family pass entry to April 30 Sunday morning Spring Series event at Bruce Pit ($32 value)
- Family pass entry to Summer Solstice event 1 on June 6 (location to be determined) ($32 value)
- All participants will need to fill in and submit an insurance waiver at their first practice.
- The Intro to Competition program is eligible to distribute Child Fitness Tax Credit receipts. Tax credit receipts for both the spring and fall sessions will be distributed in the new year 2018.
We are always looking for help coordinating the kids during program hours. If you are interested in volunteering and enjoy running (or even if you don't), please join us! You will be able to let us know your volunteer preferences when you register for the program.
Note: All parent volunteers will be asked to fill out a screening disclosure form prior to working with the kids in the program. We will provide this to you prior to the start of the program.