Orienteering Ottawa offers outreach programs: customizable orienteering and adventure sessions for your school, scout group, business, or friends.
We also offer instructor-training to school teachers and camp directors who wish to add Orienteering to their curriculum.
How it works
A typical hour-long classroom session might look something like the following:
- 15 minutes of introduction to our sport;
- 15 minutes of direct outdoor instruction with our facilitators;
- 30 minutes of orienteering in the school yard as individuals or in pairs.
A longer two hour session can be done at your school or at one of the areas Orienteering Ottawa has mapped*. In two hours we often provide the following:
- A 20 minute introduction to the sport of orienteering;
- 30 minutes of direct outdoor instruction with our facilitators;
- 30 minutes of orienteering as individuals or in pairs;
- 10 minutes of debrief and feedback from our facilitators;
- 30 minutes of fun orienteering activities such as team relays to wrap up.
These sessions can be done on foot, skis, or snowshoes.
*Land use permissions need to be secured for many of our maps so we do not guarantee the availability of all areas at all times.
Another fun option for younger school groups is orienteering in a gym (great for all times of the year!):
What it costs
A typical two hour session will cost about $200 for up to 30 students. For that you get:
- Two experienced coaches;
- an orienteering map of your outdoor space courtesy of Orienteering Ottawa funding (see below for mapping details);
- rental orienteering equipment;
- the set-up and take-down of all equipment;
- one on one quick-start instructions on using free Purple Pen course setting software.
Want a map of your school yard or other private property?
If you have booked an OUTREACH session and want to run the event on your school yard, Orienteering Ottawa will pay for the creation of a small map for you to use at that session and afterwards as you like. Orienteering Ottawa reserves the copyright on all maps it pays for and the right to use the map for their own purposes (while respecting the fact the land is private property of course).
If you wish to retain full rights to the map or do not want an OUTREACH session at the same time then you will be charged market rates for the creation of the orienteering map.
Book a session