Join the team. There are many ways you can help!
Orienteering Ottawa is a non-profit sports club managed and financed through the volunteer efforts of its members. It's thanks to the many club volunteers that we can all enjoy the fabulous events and programs on offer in the Ottawa area.
People volunteer for a variety of reasons. A need to give back to the community, the camaraderie involved, the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment in mapping or course setting, the desire to improve your orienteering skills by looking at the sport from the other side. Whatever your interest we are always welcoming new volunteers.
There are lots of ways to get involved. Some of these roles require a certain level of orienteering experience but many do not.
- Registration - Our registration volunteers help out at one or two events a year. You can still run in the event once the registration window has closed. No experience necessary!
- Collection of controls - If you are an experienced orienteer you might help with picking up controls after an event. If you are not so experienced you may also find this a learning experience to find a few controls while not being pressured in a race. Sometimes the controls can be collected the next day. That may be an option for you. Let the event director know your willingness.
- Giving a hand to newcomers - Let the registrar or the ambassador (the greeter) know you are willing and able.
- Timing - This takes a bit of instruction but if you let the results guy at the computer know of your interest he can perhaps give you some instruction at a later meet.
- Mapping - This is a task that requires a certain amount of experience and attention to detail. Making orienteering maps can be very rewarding and offers the opportunity to spend many tranquil hours in the woods. If this is interesting to you check out our mapping clinics on our clinics page. Though our maps are kept up to date through our volunteers this is something that can lead to paid work. We do pay our mappers for new maps.
- French translation - We would like to provide more of our club notices and documents in french and reach the french media. For major meets we like to produce the entry form in french as well.
We always welcome help with the above tasks and will provide any training or coaching needed.
Have you a particular skill set not mentioned above that you feel might be of help? Let us know.