Thursday Orienteering Practices
Times and Locations
We offer our Thursday Orienteering Practices over 8 weeks in the spring and 8 weeks and the fall, and new in 2021 6 weeks in July and August.
Each week we visit a different venue.
See the schedule in the sidebar for scheduled locations each week. Clicking on any of the events in the schedule will take you to a page with details about the session.
Practices start at 6:30 sharp (please be a few minutes early) and run until 8pm.
Each week we will start with a short group discussion led by the coach and then do a hands-on training exercise that focuses on a particular aspect of your orienteering technique. This exercise may consist of a single course or it may consist of several loops. For those looped exercises there will be a chance to talk to the coach in between so you can get feedback before heading into the woods again. We will end each session with a group discussion and debrief to talk about how the exercise went and what you can do to practice this element of your orienteering technique.
Additionally, program members are encouraged to discuss your Spring/Fall Series races and compare notes with each other and with the coach each week. Spring/Fall Series Events, though not formally part of the program, are an excellent opportunity to practice your new techniques and learn from each session in the woods. We hope to see you on Sunday mornings!
Weather and Safety Policies
Please note that we have some additional COVID-19 policies that MUST be followed:
- Have signed the waiver in advance (once for the year) . Each adult must sign this while signed in to their own ottawaoc.ca account. The practice registration will not be available to you until you have signed the waiver. (**Cannot get to the registration page? See here)
- Register online in advance.
- All participants must wear a mask when gathered for discussion at the start finish area and carry it with you while on course.
- All participants MUST fill out our COVID declaration of health form on the day of practice. The form can be filled out online in english or in french or as a printed pdf.
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms, have been outside of the country in the past 14 days, have reason to believe you may have COVID-19 including being in contact with someone who has recently tested positive, DO NOT show up to practice.
In addition we have the following polices about weather and safety:
All of our programs are rain or shine (or snow or wind…). Only in the event of dangerous conditions arising due to an electrical storm or other extreme weather will a program session be canceled, in which case we will send out an e-mail two hours prior to the start of the session.
There are a few risks to be aware of when playing and spending time wild areas in the outdoors. The major ones in the Ottawa area are ticks, poison ivy, and wild parsnip. You can find out more about these risks on our safety page (page de sécurité et éthique).
To see the club’s full weather policy as well as our program behaviour and safety policies check out our policy manual
Pre-registration is required for all practices. Pre-register here *
Single Practice: $15
Fall Practice Pass: $80 (gets you access to all eight Fall Thursday Orienteering Practices)
* This link will only worked for logged in club members that have signed the waiver this year. If you're having trouble make sure you are logged in and try signing the waiver.
Participants must register online for each practice (regardless of if you've purchased a fall pass).
In order to guarantee that you get a freshly printed map please register by noon on Thursday. We will do our best to accommodate those that register Thursday afternoon by sharing maps.